The Abortion Rights Campaign
The Abortion Rights Campaign is a movement for choice and change in Ireland. We aim to promote broad national support for a referendum to repeal the 8th Amendment to the Constitution by the Irish Parliament; to push for the introduction of extensive abortion legislation by the Northern Ireland Assembly; and to ensure the health and rights of women in pregnancy are protected in line with international human rights standards.
We believe women can be trusted to choose for themselves. So do the majority of people in Ireland.
However, in Ireland and Northern Ireland, there are many barriers to women’s full reproductive rights.
If we work together, we can dismantle these barriers so that women and their families can make their own decisions, for themselves.
The Aims of the Abortion Rights Campaign
To educate the public and policy makers about the need to give immediate effect to the X & C judgments: i.e. Legislation in which abortion can be performed to save the life of the woman, including where there is a risk of suicide.
To lift the stigma and silence surrounding abortion and women’s reproductive healthcare choices through educational programmes and awareness raising projects and by facilitating people to share their abortion experiences in supportive and empowering environments.
To promote broad national support for a referendum to repeal the 8th Amendment to the Constitution by Dáil Éireann; to push for the introduction of extensive abortion legislation by the Northern Ireland Assembly; and to ensure the health of women in pregnancy is protected in line with international human rights standards
To educate the public and policy makers about the need for access to free, safe and legal abortion options in Ireland for all who need it, regardless of citizenship or financial capacity, in line with provision of other basic healthcare options
To mobilise support nationally from a diverse range of groups, organisations, trades unions, communities and individuals for the right to choose in pregnancy.
To promote the provision of relevant up-to-date information to support evidence-based policy-making and to challenge anti-choice rhetoric that threatens reproductive freedom.
Abortion Rights Campaign Events Code of Conduct
We ask all attendees of our Open Meetings and other events to adhere to the following Code of Conduct. For a full list of our events, please see our Events Calendar.
- This code of conduct was written to help create a comfortable, respectful atmosphere for all pro-choice activists attending our meetings.
- We aim to, in as far as possible, adhere to the planned agenda of the event.
- We aim to listen respectfully and speak without aggression to each other. When we interact in groups we will not dominate discussions with claims of authority, or experience, or privilege. We will be aware of others who may not have spoken yet. Where we do disagree, we will do so without the intention of silencing others.
- We aim to be aware that our choice of words may affect people who have sought abortions. We recognise that people choose abortion with careful consideration. We aim to use language that is sensitive to their experiences.
- We recognise that the most oppressed groups in society are women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, trans people, and queer-identifying people. Therefore, we aim not to use language which offends anyone on the basis of their gender identity, ethnic identity, class, ability, sexual identity, or body.
- We agree that our events are not aligned to any political party. We welcome those of all political parties and none. We agree not to distribute party political literature at our events.
- For more information on ARC’s values, please see our Values and Inclusivity Statement.
Get involved in the campaign today.