Here is a simple break down of why we need to repeal the 8th amendment of the constitution. It is by no means all of the reasons.
- The 8th Amendment equates the life of a woman to that of an embryo.
- The vast majority of women who want and need abortions are unable to access them in Ireland under interpretations of this law.
- Women have already died in Ireland having been denied life-saving abortion procedures.
- At least 150,000 women have travelled to other countries to procure abortions since 1980.
- Thousands of women are unable to travel for abortion services due to family, legal status, financial situation, or health.
- People who procure abortion within the country risk a 14 year jail term. Doctors can be jailed too.
- The majority of people in Ireland support much wider access to abortion than is permitted under the 8th Amendment.
- The life and health of a pregnant woman has a much greater value than our constitution places on it.
There are hundreds of thousands more reasons to repeal the 8th. Each of those 150,000+ reasons voted with their feet and travelled for abortion.